Posts Tagged ‘song cards’

just more song cards

Friday, April 9th, 2010

The bus actually took a bunch of sketches & pens before I settled on this, which is okay, if not perfect. The color version here is only half-done; I’ve since finished the painting but it needs a little editing etc. so I haven’t gotten it here yet. This is also actually not pen but brush. I’ve been trying out my new fancy brushes and wanted the line work for the bus to be more expressive than the fairly flat fountain pen lines that I’ve been doing.

I’ve been fighting with twinkle little star for a long time, because the original I did was not for mass consumption by any stretch and was awful, there was an interim version that didn’t work out, and I eventually wound up here. I tried to scan a couple of the sketches for this one but my pencils are so light that they wouldn’t scan properly. I’ve got to start doing darker pencils – they seem so dark to me while I’m drawing them but then a week later I look at them and you can barely see marks on the page. It’s a bit silly.


This Old Man WIP

Thursday, March 18th, 2010

This is a song card I’m working on presently. I’m really trying to make an effort here on a number of fronts above and beyond just sitting down & drawing – I’m trying to do this one digitally, for one thing. While I work digitally for my professional career, and am as much at home in Photoshop as, say, my own actual living room, I haven’t done much painting/drawing digitally. Unless you count doodlebug or online pictionary, and even that was years ago. Some of this is a learning curve/time issue; I have very little time to spend in front of the computer these days, and the time I do have usually has to be spent doing paying work. I have to be pretty judicious about how I parcel out my computer time – every ten-minute video artcast is ten minutes I can’t do much drawing in, or work in, and as a work-at-home mom of a toddler this is a major issue for me. But I’m making an effort to do at least a little bit more.

So this was thumbnailed and sketched out on paper, first, and I actually drew one version of it that was different that I tried pretty hard to beat into submission before concluding that it was a bad direction. I’ll post those when I get a chance. I scanned the pencil sketch that I finally did like, and then spent a bunch of time fighting with it, myself, and the software in Painter to get the sketch where I wanted it. Now I’m kind of bouncing between Photoshop and Painter trying to paint it; this is incredibly frustrating to me because Painter has brushes and brush features I like, and particularly the “pick up underlying color” feature, but seriously lacks tons of the usability and other features of Photoshop, while Photoshop-painted-stuff typically looks very …photoshoppy. I’ll get there eventually, I suppose, but in the meantime it’s not a very easy or forgiving process.

The dog-with-bone will eventually get back in there, I just hated my sketch of it and need to sit down and actually work on that part of the drawing.


Another song card

Friday, March 12th, 2010

This one is done digitally. I don’t have all that much time to work on my proper computer, and that time I do have I usually need to do my actual job, but I’m very, very, very slowly working towards more proficiency at drawing digitally. I use Photoshop for my full-time (web design) job, I just rarely use it (or Painter) for anything more illustrative/artistic. This one is for “I’ve Been Workin’ on the Railroad,” and probably leans a little too much towards historical accuracy for a toddler, but I liked it anyway. The brushes are defaults and Bittbox.

I've Been Workin' on the Railroad


Couple of WIPs

Thursday, March 11th, 2010

I’ve been waiting to de-private this here thing until I actually had some of my own work to post. I have a wicked in-brain editor that tells me not to show things to people because they’re not good enough, so I’m trying to gag that judge and show stuff anyway. I am non-self-deprecatingly aware that I have a long ways to go; I think that is a fairly honest assessment of my present skillset. That said, nothing ventured, nothing gained, eh?

These are song cards I’m using as practice work. I’m illustrating well-known children’s songs, then I put lyrics on the back and laminate them for my own son and for gifts.

The lines are drawn with a Namiki Falcon fountain pen in a Moleskine watercolor notebook, using Noodler’s Bulletproof (it is not: when I erase the pencil off my dried ink, a fair amount of black tone comes off as well) black ink. The paints are Yarka St. Petersburg watercolors (half pan set of 24.) The paints are so-so, frankly, but they suffice for the moment. The brushes I’ve been using include a #2 and #3 Raphael Series 8404 and 0 and 2 Arches Kolinsky Sable. I like the Raphael 8404s better than the Arches.

Baa Baa Black Sheep3 Little Monkeys